Lemon lavender blueberry yogurt muffins

July 24th, 2010

Lemon lavender blueberry muffin

I’ve had a serious lavender crush for some time now – lavender infused truffles, lavender whipped cream, lavender butter, rosemary lavender shortbread - like I said, it’s a pretty serious crush.

It all started at a wedding and with my dear friend, Amy, who was the mastermind behind a layer of lavender infused wedding cake. I had been dating Brian for just three months at the time, and we danced the night away, not quite knowing yet that it would be us walking down the aisle just three short months later (no, your math is not incorrect, we quite apparently followed this path).

I do not remember any of the other cake layers, or the cake icing, but I remember that layer of lavender cake…

moist, softly sweet, and deliciously infused with just a hint of beautiful, floral lavender.

Lemon lavender blueberry muffin

Amy, being often more daring in her culinary endeavors than myself, and likely simply altogether more sophisticated, has long been infusing lavender into foods, and her list of lavender creations has only grown over time.

It was two winters ago when Amy was visiting that I first tasted these muffins. As former college roommates, Amy and I have always loved cooking together.

Let’s see – on that particular visit we made double chocolate scones (twice), apricot couscous (note to self – must post this recipe!), Romanian chicken and rice (this one too – so simple and comforting), homemade pasta (didn’t we, Amy? – or should I say, didn’t you?), strawberry lavender jam, lavender brownies, and these lemon lavender blueberry muffins.

Lemon lavender blueberry muffin

These are very special little muffins. The base blueberry muffin recipe is courtesy of Alton Brown. It uses cake flour to create a perfectly light texture and fine crumb, and both baking soda and baking powder for a soft interior and lightly crisp crust. Yogurt adds both delicate flavor as well as acidity to leaven and lighten. There are no lack of blueberries within, and each muffin is dotted with additional blueberries, just for flair.

Alone this is a pretty awesome blueberry muffin.

But add the zest of three lemons and three teaspoons of crushed lavender, and what have you? Amazing, succulent, tangy floral berry wonderfulness – that’s what you’ve got. Flavors meant for each other – lemon, lavender and blueberry.

I think this could also easily be made into a loaf or sheet cake… drizzled with a concentrated lemon glaze? Ah, I think that would make Amy proud.

Nevertheless, it is quite amazing as little muffins, just like this, and little Jonathan can’t get enough of them – lucky him for falling for lavender well before his twenties – to think of all the lavender adventures that lie ahead!

Lemon lavender blueberry muffin
Lemon lavender blueberry yogurt muffins
base blueberry muffin recipe found here

12 1/2 ounces cake flour (just under 2 3/4 cup)
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons aluminum free baking powder
heavy pinch salt
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 egg
1 cup yogurt
1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries
zest of 3 lemons
3 teaspoons lavender buds
2 tablespoons ground pecans mixed with 1 teaspoon sugar (optional)

Preheat oven to 380 degrees F. Sift flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt, and set aside.

In a food processor or mini chopper, pulse sugar and lavender buds together until buds are crushed and dispersed throughout the sugar.

In a separate bowl, whisk together lavender infused sugar, oil, egg, and yogurt and lemon zest. Add the dry ingredients, reserving one T of dry ingredients to toss with the blueberries. Stir just until dry ingredients are incorporated, add 1 cup of blueberries, and stir 3 more times. Reserve 1/2 cup of blueberries.

Fill muffin cups 3/4 full and then dot reserved blueberries on top, pressing down lightly. Sprinkle ground pecan mixture on top if desired.

Place muffins in the oven to bake and increase oven temperature to 400 degrees. Bake for 15-18 minutes for mini muffins and 20 to 25 minutes for larger muffins, rotating pan halfway through.

Remove from heat and turn over and out, to cool completely. Serve immediately or store in an airtight container.

Tags: , , , ,
Posted in Dessert | 20 Comments »

20 Responses to “Lemon lavender blueberry yogurt muffins”

1. Ooo… Love the flavor combo. Did you just one-up Alton Brown? :) I could really use more lavender in my life. I’ll have to try these!

2. Val says:

Beautiful pictures! I have been craving something lemony and yogurty for a couple of weeks now and keep intending to bake something. I haven’t gotten around to it but now my craving includes lavender and blueberries too!

3. redmenace says:

Wow. I love lavender too. Lavender creme brulee, anyone. LOVE. These look wonderful. Absolutely amazing. Thanks so much for sharing this recipe! How in the world did you keep fresh blueberries from bursting inside the muffins? Mine always burst!

Hi Robin! Wish I could say I knew why my berries didn’t all burst – they were from a friend’s blueberry bush and somewhat small to begin with – not sure if that had anything to do with it or perhaps less juicy? or maybe this recipe is somehow magical ( ; ! Not sure, but now I will be paying attention to when my blueberries burst and when they do not so I can figure it out. ( : Hope you are well.

Hi Robin – this is an update from the above comment. I keep thinking that the bursting must have to do with how hot the blueberries get and for how long – they must burst when they become so hot their skins cannot contain them – so either my berries were less juicy or the temperature plus cooking time plus perhaps this recipe that keeps the muffin moist throughout thus averaging a lower internal temperature must all be factors. I’m quite obsessive ( : so I wanted to add my final thoughts about this – if anyone else has other thoughts – let us know!

4. Me too, me too! I can’t get enough lavender! Laura, these are the most PERFECT looking muffins. I use the lemon-blueberry combo a lot, but the addition of lavender and yogurt has my head spinning! It’s culinary brilliance, I tell you!

your photos are AMAZING. these are, without a doubt, the most exquisite and elegant muffins i’ve ever seen. i doubt i’ll ever taste any muffin so complex and tasty!

Oh surely I’m not more sophisticated than you, dear Laura – you were wearing real perfume years before me!  That list of all the amazing food we made together is impressive, and also a warning that our waistlines may be at serious risk if we ever live close to each other again!  I had forgotten about the yogurt in this recipe – it makes the muffins so moist. Lemon glaze would indeed make me proud, but I’m prouder still of little Mr. Jonathan and his appreciation for lavender. The crumbled pecans mixed with sugar sound like a nice touch – did you add that?

Hello, friend! The pecans were “my” addition, however, if you remember, we made these muffins twice on that visit – the first time with added pecans both in the batter and on top. Well, I repeated that this time because I liked the pecans so well, but they ended up making the texture more crumbly than I could recommend, so I just suggested putting them on top. In the end, all the inspiration is yours! ( :

7. Barbara says:

What a lovely idea of your friend to make a lavender layer for her wedding cake! That must have been delicious.
    I’m in love with your muffins too, Laura. They look chock full of good things…pecans, lavender, yogurt as well as those lovely home-grown blueberries right off your friend’s bush!

8. Tracy says:

I think I’m developing a small crush on this muffin recipe.

9. Brenda says:

Northerners can use saskatoons in this recipe. I’ve picked 12 litres this month, mostly the size of blueberries. They’re a bit sweeter. And I grow lavender so this whole thing just makes sense! Thanks.

Hello Brenda. Thanks for stopping by my blog – I am not familiar with saskatoons – will have to look up!

10. Dajana says:

Hi, I’so glad I discovered your blog. These muffins hit me immediately, and couldn’t wait to make them. Absolutely gorgeous, I only made some minor changes in quantity of ingredients.

11. Joy says:

what elegant muffins!! The title alone made my heart stop, the refreshing bite of lemon paired with the floral delicateness of the lavender — it’s like a beautiful dream wrapped in a tiny muffin, I love it!

I love cooking with friends! I use to make spring rolls and pies and cookies with my old roommate in college thanks for reminding me how wonderful of a time we had together, great post!

12. Just stopped by to tell you I’m making these today! Can’t wait for HOT muffins!

13. Loving you even MORE than ever! I just made these with the abundance of wild blueberries we picked off the Blue Ridge Parkway yesterday evening. They are divine! You just moved two notches higher on Dan’s scale of loveliness–that might place you higher than me! ;)

I’d like to link this to my blueberry post this week, is that ok?

Hello dear! So glad they turned out for you – and, of course, you are always welcome to link back! ( :

14. Jill says:

Hey Laura! These look amazing! I’m ready to try it… but have some questions… where do I find lavender buds? can i use greek yogurt? can I use lemon infused olive oil instead of veggie oil and lemon zest? Can’t wait to try these.

Hey Jill – I buy dried lavender at my local Harris Teeter in the spice jar section. It’s expensive, but they last a long time. I *think* Greek yogurt would work, though it is thicker than regular yogurt so it may make a more dense muffin – try it with a high fat version and I doubt you will go wrong (though I’d love to hear about it) and as for lemon infuse olive oil – they will have a distinct olive oil flavor – but that sounds nice to me! I don’t know how heavily the oil is infused with lemon, but if it is strong, you’d probably want to cut back on the lemon zest. Hope they turn out great!