Home

July 15th, 2010

“Look Jonathan! Look! The mountains. We are driving into the mountains. My mountains!

It was good to be home again.

After my parents’ divorce and my father’s death, I could hardly go back.

But time and perspective have extended their gracious arms, and support me.

And all those I have always loved.

And those I have come to love.

Home has always been about them, really.

Yet I can’t help but feel these are my mountains.

Ease. Peace.

Posted in Life | 12 Comments »

12 Responses to “Home”

1. Breathtaking post. I know what you mean…I didn’t grow up here, but I can’t help feeling that this is where I belong. Where I MUST be. Is that Triple Falls?

Yes, yes – triple falls in Dupont forest. We did lots of hiking and driving around near the cabin Mom rented in Brevard (so sorry we did not see you this time!). The air was so crisp and the nights cool – I miss it already!

there’s a reason they say home is where the heart is (even though the grammar is odd and not quite correct). lovely post. :)

I love the shot of Brian and Jonathan walking by the water. I can just picture how wide Brian’s grin is. I had a Caesar Salad two days ago, and it made me think of the recipe you posted on your last trip to NC and how I really ought to try to make it sometime. Glad you had a good time in the mountains with your family!

4. Barbara says:

What a lovely post, Laura. Your mountains are absolutely beautiful. I remember your post about John’s Caesar Salad and that lovely cabin with its unusual railing.

I suppose we all feel that way deep in our hearts about someplace. Where we were happiest, perhaps. And where we would like to take our children so they might grow up appreciating the same place.

5. laura says:

Thanks everyone for your comments – they are always appreciated! The trip to NC was great – now we are back and busy in our VA home. ( :

6. redmenace says:

I’m glad you’ve returned to your mountains. They are truly gorgeous! And, is that your sweet little one? How adorable!

7. What a nice post! What a beautiful photo of your son and husband.

8. Joy says:

Laura

Love the pictures — I always believe nature is the best medicine to heal any type of negative feelings or energy that may be present in your life. I am glad you fold solace in your mountains, they are very beautiful and majestic mountains indeed. Hope you are doing well and sending much love your way!

9. Chef Dennis says:

what beautiful images!! thanks so much for sharing them with us!

10. my spatula says: